7 interesting facts about tires
They’re round, made from rubber and essential to the operation of a vehicle, but there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to the humble car tire.
So we’ve put together 7 interesting facts about tyres that you should know, along with some helpful maintenance tips!
1. The first tire was made from solid rubber and was not inflated.
2. The first pneumatic tire was made in 1888, by John Boyd Dunlop.
3. The first radial tire was developed in 1946 and became the standard for passenger cars in the 1970s.
4. The average car tire contains over 200 components, including steel cords, synthetic rubber, and other materials. It’s not just one big piece of rubber!
5. The tread design of a car tire can help determine its performance, with different patterns providing more grip on different surfaces. Different tires are designed for different weather conditions, so it’s important to choose the right ones for the season.
6. Car tires have a finite lifespan and should be replaced when they reach a certain level of wear. (Pro tip: check your tires regularly - if they’re looking a bit smooth, it may be time to change them!)
7. Tire pressure should be checked at least once a month in order to ensure optimal performance and safety. (Pro tip: tire pressure should be lower during the searing Dubai summer as the heat will cause the pressure to naturally rise).